Monday, September 22, 2014

Apple Cake


It's apple season!  In my opinion, apples are one of the top five fruits.  They are the perfect fruit when you are feeling lazy.  You don't have to peel or cut them.  Other than washing them, no preparation is needed.



I would like to go to an orchard this year and pick some apples.  There is a farmers' market near my office, but a pound of apples costs twice as much as it does in the grocery store.  I like locally grown fruits and vegetables but not that much.


Apples are also a great baking ingredient.  Apple pies and crisps are fantastic.  One of these days I would like to try and make apple butter. So delicious!



This recipe came from allrecipes.  I made a few changes.  I replaced the sugar for honey and the walnuts with pecans.  I also and added nutmeg and ginger.


The ingredients are 1 1/4 cups honey, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 cup chopped pecans, and 5 1/2 cups chopped apples.


I added the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and baking soda into a bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.




I added the eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla.




I mixed the batter well.


I added the apples and walnuts.  


I combined all the ingredients.


I poured the batter into a foil lined and greased 8 inch square pan.  The recipe calls for a 9 inch square pan for a reason.  The cake almost escaped the sides of the 8 inch pan.


I baked the cake for 70 minutes at 325 degrees.  My pan was smaller than directed, and I had to cook it  longer than the instructions suggested.  In a 9 inch square pan, it should take 45 to 60 minutes to bake thoroughly.  My apartment was filled with a wonderful fragrance while the cake was baking.


This cake is packed full of delicious apples.  It has warm, comforting spices.  I could also discern the honey.


 The combination of spices is so inviting.  It doesn't require any glaze or icing.


 This is an excellent recipe.  It is a simple yet appetizing cake.

No comments: