Saturday, June 28, 2014

Eggs with Dates - Tamriyya Haneeney


This is probably the strangest thing I have ever posted on my blog.  It came from a cookbook I got at the library called, "The Iraqi Cookbook."  It has many delicious looking recipes, some of which I will attempt to recreate.


I choose this one because it was so unusual.  I have never eaten anything like it before.  I enjoyed the dish, but it was a little strange.   If your not open to strange, this might not be the dish for you.


The book said this is a famous sweet dish for poorer Iraqis.  The book also said there are 100 different types of dates grown in Iraq.




There are only three ingredients:  1 1/2 cups pitted dates, 2 eggs, and 1 to 2 tablespoons cooking oil.  To begin, I fried the chopped dates in the oil over medium heat.  I wanted the dates to soften in the hot oil.  This took about five to six minutes.



After the dates were soft, I added the eggs on top of the dates.  I continued to stir and fry the food until the eggs were fully cooked.




It was good.  I'm not sure if I should categorize this dish as a dessert or breakfast.  Eggs seem like breakfast food to me, and Americans are never afraid of eating sweet things early in the morning.  Traditionally it is a dessert.


It is a sweet and filling dish.  The strongest flavor comes from the dates, which I liked.  The eggs make everything stick together.  It might not be for everyone, but I liked this dish.

No comments: