Friday, May 2, 2014

Yellow Vegetable Curry


This is a great Thai recipe I got off of about.com.  It doesn't require curry paste or curry powder.  I'm a meat eater, but I didn't feel anything was missing from this toothsome dish.

 

It doesn't look like much, but the flavors are smell of the dish are both exotic and comforting.  I added more vegetables than the recipe called for, but the ratio of sauce to vegetable was ideal.  


Yellow curry outside of Thailand usually refers to kaeng kari, a Thai-Muslim dish.   It often contains cumin, coriander, fenugreek, turmeric, bay leaf, and lemon grass.  It isn't as spicy as many other Thai curries.





The ingredients are 2 shallots, 1 inch ginger, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon dried red chile flakes, 1 teaspoon coriander, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/3 teaspoon ground pepper, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon strong chicken stock, 1 can drained chickpeas,  1 cup carrots, 3 cups acorn squash, 1 potato, 1 sweet potato, 1 cup cauliflower, 1 14 ounce can coconut milk, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoon fish sauce, 3 tablespoon lime juice, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 tablespoon chile sauce.  For the strong chicken stock I added enough chicken bouillon for 1 cup of stock to half a cup of water.



I chopped up all the vegetables and measured out the spices before cooking. 



I added the coriander, ground cumin, tumeric, and pepper to a small bowl.  Turmeric comes from the ginger family.  It comes from Southeast India.  It has been used in India for over a thousand year.

 In a hot pan I drizzled in oil and sauteed the shallots, ginger, garlic, and chile flakes.



I added the pre-measured spices and bay leaves and continued to stir fry for over two minutes.



I added the chicken stock, carrots, squash, sweet potato, potato, and chickpeas.



I added the coconut milk and brought the curry to a simmer.  


I simmered the curry for 8 or 9 minutes.  While it cooked I added the brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chile sauce, and lime juice.




After eight minutes, I added the cauliflower and cooked for another eight to nine minutes.  


Once all the vegetables were cooked, it was ready to eat!


 I ate mine over rice.  This makes a good amount.  I ate it all week, and I never got tired of it.  The recipe suggests serving it with basil.


The smell and taste were phenomenal.  It is definitely one of the best vegetable curries I have had.


 Two enthusiastic thumbs up!  Make it!

No comments: