Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Sandwich


For a few months I have been attending exercise classes after work at my office's gym.  The people who attend are all regulars.  I enjoy getting some exercise after sitting all day.  


A few have recently told me that I look like I have lost some weight. I really like when people tell me that, and I really like when it's true.  Unfortunately, I have not lost weight recently.  I weigh myself regularly, and all my cloths fit the same.


I like to think that even though I weight the same, I'm a little firmer.  That seems plausible, right?  It has definitely improved my overall fitness.  I can kind of do real pushups now.  I don't go as low as I should, but four months ago I just collapsed when attempting a real pushup.


Cosi has a sandwich like this.  They make theirs on a really delicious flat bread, but it's the same idea.  It's simple but delicious.  I ate this sandwich two ways:  an open-faced, toasted version and an un-toasted version.  The toasted version is the best.

 

This sandwich was inspired by Cosi and Whole Foods.  The last time I went to Whole Foods they were selling two fresh mozzarella globs for the price of one.  What a steal!


The sandwich requires a baguette, mozzarella cheese, tomato, fresh basil, salt, and pepper.  I didn't use any mayonnaise or oil. 


 For the un-toasted version, I just piled on the ingredients between the sliced baguette. I sprinkled the salt and pepper onto the tomato so that it would stick.


The toasted version was open faced.  I layered the tomato and cheese onto the halved baguette chunk.  I toasted the sandwich in the over for about 5 minutes at 350 degree.  I salted and peppered the tomatoes before adding the cheese.


I added the basil after the sandwich had toasted.  Basil is originally from India.  It has been cultivated for over 5,000 years.  It is prevalent in Italian cuisine, as well as many Southeast Asian cuisines.  There are many varieties.  


This was simple but delicious.  There is nothing quite as comforting as carbs and cheese.



 It was quick and seems a little summery too.


 If you see some plump tomatoes at your local farmers market or grow a bumper crop of tomatoes this year, you should give this sandwich a try.



No comments: