Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Spicy Turkey Meatloaf


The weather here in Washington DC is all over the place. This weekend it was pretty warm but rainy. My running shoes were soaked when I ran my half-marathon on Saturday. Luckily, they handed out blankets at the end of the race, or I would have been frozen. Monday was warm but windy, and today is a crisp fall day. I can’t believe how warm it has been given it is mid-November.




I made this meatloaf last week. I found the recipe online, but I made a few alterations. I used Sriracha instead of ketchup to spice it up a bit. It’s a little lighter and healthier than most meat-loaves because it’s made with ground turkey. I also added a little fish sauce, but I’m not sure it added any flavor.

The ingredients are 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 onion, 3 garlic cloves, 1 pound ground turkey, ½ cup breadcrumbs, 1 egg, ½ cup Siracha sauce, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, and ¾ teaspoons salt. The original recipe called for 1-½ pounds of ground turkey, which I would recommend. I couldn’t find any ground turkey at my local Whole Foods, and I had to ask the meat counter assistant if they were out. She said they had just ground some and gave me a package. After purchasing the meat, I realized it was only one pound.

To start, I browned the onion and garlic in the extra virgin olive oil for five minutes. I let the onion and garlic mixture cool.


While it cooled, I combined the turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, Siracha, fish sauce, and salt into a bowl.



I added the onion and garlic once cool.

I combined all the ingredients and pressed it into a loaf pan.


I baked it for 55 minutes at 350 degrees.


This isn’t the most beautiful dish, but it is full of flavor. It’s a little exotic with the chile sauce but still homey. When I reheated it at work for lunch, all my coworkers told me how wonderful it smelled. Unfortunately for them I didn’t bring enough to share. It was mouthwatering and moist.

No comments: