Monday, January 15, 2018

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup


Happy Martin Luther King Junior Day!  I am not working today because it is a federal holiday.  I celebrated by going to a waffle brunch.


The host made lots of waffles, and everyone else brought accompaniments.  It was very fun.  

It is so cold outside that I may not leave my apartment for the rest of the day.  I need to get my watch band fixed. I should venture out for that purpose, but I probably will not.  I expect that shortly I will be in my pajamas.


I found this chicken taco soup recipe on allrecipes.com.  Instead of using cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies, I added a can of green chilies.


The ingredients are 1 onion, 1 16-ounce can chili beans, 1 15-ounce can black beans, 1 16-ounce can drained corn, 1 12-fluid ounce can beer, 2 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, 1 4-ounce package taco seasoning, 3 chicken breasts and grated cheese for garnish.


I added the drained corn, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and green chilies into a slow-cooker.


I added the chili beans, black beans, and chicken.


I added the taco seasoning and beer.  Believe it or not, this is the first time I have boughten bear in my  life.  I stirred the ingredients together and let it cook for five hours on low heat.  After five hours, I removed the chicken and shredded it.  I added the chicken back into the slow-cooker, and let it continue to cook for another hour at high heat.


I garnished each serving with grated Colby jack cheese.


This was delicious soup.  It was hearty and warming.  It was chock full of yummy nibbles.  


Despite the green chilis, it wasn't very spicy.  The broth was flavorful.  


 It was simple to make and tasty.  It would make it again.

No comments: