Thursday, October 5, 2017

Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread


I have gotten into making bread.  That is probably an exaggeration because I have only made bread twice in the last couple of months.


I have bought a rather large jar of yeast and a bread pan, so I feel that these two loaves are just the beginning.  

Homemade bread is so delicious.  This is a whole wheat bread so it is healthy too.  



I have made bread in the past with my dad and an older brother.  For years, my brother has made all the bread his family eats.  He even grinds his own wheat.


I believe that through his example, my dad and my brother in-law regularly make their bread.  I am now trying to join the club.


This whole wheat bread recipe came from KingArthur Flour.  I don't think it makes a difference, but I actually used their whole wheat flour.  I am not super confident about my bread making abilities, so I made the recipe exactly as directed.


The ingredients are 1 to 1/8 cups lukewarm water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup molasses, 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 1/4 cup dry milk, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt.



I dissolved the yeast in two tablespoons of lukewarm water from the recipe.  I let the yeast bloom for a few minutes.




I added the rest of the warm water, oil, molasses, and dry milk into a mixes with a bread hook attachment.



I added the yeast mixture, whole wheat flour, and salt.  I mixed this with the hook for 8 minutes.


I placed the dough in a well greased bowl.  I rolled the dough in the oil, covered the dough, and let it rise for about an hour.  It doubled in size.


I formed the dough into a loaf shape.  I placed it in a greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch loaf pan.  I covered it lightly and let it rise for another hour or so.  It dough had risen enough that the center was an inch above the pan.


I baked the bread for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.  I spread butter over the warm loaf when I took the bread from the oven. 


I removed the bread from the pan to cool on a wire rack.


I really enjoy warm bread right from the oven, so I didn't wait too long before digging in.  


This was a scrumptious bread recipe.  The bread was tender and moist.


 It was hearty, nourishing, and filling.


I ate this over a week, and it remained fresh.  I stored it in a ziplock bag in the fridge.  I'm not sure that is the best technique, but it worked for me.


I ate the bread with simple toppings, but it was delicious because the bread itself was so superb.  I can see myself making much for bread in the future.



No comments: