Sunday, January 15, 2017

Pistazo


There is a recipe in my mother's family that we call pistazo.  I believe it was created by my aunt, but I'm not sure about the details.


I remember as a kid begging my dad to make it.  My dad was the breakfast maker.  In elementary school, he made pancakes for my sibling and I every day.  In the mornings, he wore a long brown house coat that had a hood and went over his head. 



In those days he made syrup from maple extract.  Now he only eats pure maple syrup.  Not having to feed five kids every day makes that much more economically feasible.  


Pancakes were everyday, but pistazo was more of a treat.  As an adult, I realize these are probably just crepes, but I still think of them as pistazo.


I found the recipe card in my mom's recipe box over the Christmas holiday and gave it a whirl.  The ingredients are 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 tablespoon melted butter, 4 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 cups flour.  The recipe says to shift the flour, but I don't think we have ever done that in practice.



To make the pistazo, I combined the milk and eggs.  I beat the eggs and milk together well.



 I added the sugar, salt and melted butter.  I stirred the batter.



I then whisked in the flour.


I added a little bit of butter into a skillet.  I added just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan.  I created a thin coat of batter in the bottom of the pan by tilting the pan 360 degrees.  


Once one side was browned and cooked, I flipped the pistazo and cooked the other side until cooked.


We ate these with butter and honey, raspberry jam, and lemon juice with powdered sugar.  All versions were delicious but the lemon juice and powdered sugar version was my favorite.


 Sometimes I roll the pistazo up and other times I eat it flat and just cut triangles.


This is a scrumptious recipe.  It is one of my favorites foods.  The pistazo is buttery, eggy, and delicate.  


The edges become a little crisp.  You can add so many different types of delicious toppings.  I have such good memories of eating this as a child too.  It looks simple, but it's wonderful.  I've eaten these over a hundred times, and I'll make it many more times in the future.


No comments: