Saturday, November 26, 2016

Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomatoes, and Gorgonzola Pizza


I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I just returned back from spending Thanksgiving with my family.  My flight left at 7:30 this morning.  Unfortunately, my parents live two and a half hours away from the nearest airport.


They deserve an award for picking me up and taking me back to the airport every time I come for a visit.  I am going back home for Christmas, and my flight arrives at 10 at night Christmas Eve.  No one wants to spend five hours driving on Christmas Eve, but my parents have graciously agreed to do it.


We woke up this morning at 3:45 and left at 4 in the morning.  I am going to bed early tonight!

This pizza is piled high with prosciutto.  Prosciutto is made from the hind leg of thigh of a pig.  It is a dry cure ham.  This means the raw meat is cleaned and then covered with salt and pressed.  All of the blood is squeezed out.  This curing process takes months.


The word prosciutto has a latin base.  It means to suck out the moisture.  Prosciutto is served thinly sliced and usually uncooked.



The ingredients for one pizza are 1 frozen naan, 1.5 ounces mozzarella, 2 to 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, 1/2 ounce blue cheese, 7 to 10 basil leaves, and 2 pieces prosciutto.


I chopped the sun dried tomatoes and placed them on top of the frozen naan.  I didn't use sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, though those would have worked.



I added a mound of grated mozzarella cheese and gorgonzola crumbles and baked the pizza for around seven minutes at 350 degrees.



I added fresh basil leaves and pieces of prosciutto once I removed the pizza from the oven.



This was a scrumptious pizza.  It was savory, salty, and flavorful.


The cheese was creamy, tangy, and smooth.  


It was a delightful and pleasurable little pizza.


 The dried tomatoes were sweet and chewy.  The pizza was cheesy and meaty.  Yum!



No comments: