Thursday, November 10, 2016

Apple Pancakes with Pecans and Toffee Bits


A couple of weeks ago I went to a pumpkin festival at a farm in Maryland.  There was a hay ride and a corn maze.  There were also many pumpkin themed treats like pumpkin pie, pumpkin donuts, and pumpkin cake rolls.


The farm also had a market where they sold cider, baked goods, and produce.  I ended up buying a squash and apple butter.  Apple butter is a delicious condiment, and it was the inspiration for these apple pancakes.

Apple butter is a like a concentrated apple sauce.  Apples are cooke down in cider or water until the sugars caramelize and the apples breakdown and become dark brown.  The concentrated sugar gives apple butter a longer shelf life.



The apple pancake recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I added vanilla, salt, ginger, clove, toffee bits, and pecans.  They were all great additions.


The ingredients are 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 egg, 1 cup milk, 1 cup shredded apples, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground clove, 1/8 ground ginger, 1/4 cup toffee bits, and 1/4 pecans.



I combined the melted butter, grated apple, egg, milk, and vanilla extract.





I added the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and ginger.  I whisked all these ingredients together.




I mixed in the chopped pecans and toffee bits.


I scooped a fourth to a third of a cup of batter into a hot and greased skillet.


I cooked the pancake until the edges looked dry and bubbles started to form.  I flipped the pancakes and let the other side cook for a few minutes.


Appropriately,  I ate these with apple butter.  


These had a nice fall, apple flavor.  There were yummy, autumnal spices.  They were fragrant and welcoming.


The texture was moist and tender.


The pecans were crunchy and delicious.  The toffee bits added sweetness and a toffee flavor, but they pretty much dissolved in the pancakes.


 These were inviting and delicious.  They weren't as fluffy as I would have liked, but the flavor was great.


2 comments:

Annie @ Annie's Cooking Lab said...

Those look delicious! I'm totally obsessed with apples this fall, adding them to pancakes is brilliant!

laura said...

Thanks Annie! I'm a huge fan of apples myself! :)