Monday, December 28, 2015

Creamy Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup


During the holidays, I always eat poorly.  I eat mountains of food and gobs of sweets.  By the end of the season, my body craves healthy food.  


Poor food choices notwithstanding, I have had a wonderful Christmas.  I have seen all of my siblings, nieces, and nephews.  I have seen many uncles, aunts, and cousins too.

I have gone sledding, cut and decorated a Christmas tree, made cookies, attended a few Christmas parties, and decorated a gingerbread house, among other things.  It's been a good break, and it's not over yet.


This recipe is based on a potato and ham soup from all recipes.com.  Their recipe almost has nine thousand reviews.  I used turkey instead of ham and sweet potato instead of russet potato.  I also added carrots, corn, and mushroom.


The ingredients are 4 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes, 1 small onion, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup sweet corn, 3/4 cups cooked turkey, 3 1/4 cups water, 2 tablespoons chicken bullion, 1 4-ounce can drained mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 5 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons flour, 2 cups milk, 1 garlic clove, and some red chile flakes.


I added the sweet potato, onion, and water into a large pot.  I brought the water to a boil and let it simmer for 25 minutes.  I added the chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper.


 

In another pot, I melted the butter over medium heat.  I whisked the flour and garlic into the butter. 



Once the butter and flour had formed a thick paste, I gradually added the milk while stirring.


I added the red chile flakes and continued to stir until the sauce had thickened.


After the potatoes had simmered for 15 minutes, I added the sauce.


I added the drained mushrooms, corn, and turkey.  



I let the soup simmer for another five minutes before digging in.


This was a hearty, filling, and nourishing soup.


 The vegetables were soft, tender, and bright.  The broth was flavorful, creamy, and smooth.


The turkey was tender and moist.


It was a simple recipe to make.   Most of the ingredients are pantry staples.  It is healthy recipe too.  If you're like me, you need something healthy to counteract all the sugar you have eaten in the past week.  It is a yummy recipe, and I would make it again.

No comments: