Sunday, September 20, 2015

Shrimp Red Curry


Thai red curry is red because of dry red spur chiles.  The paste is traditionally made with a mortar and pestle.  I didn't make my red curry paste.  I bought it at the supermarket.  


If I had made it myself, it would have required things like galangal, lemongrass, shrimp paste, kaffir lime leaves, and coriander root.  Buying curry paste is a little easier than finding these exotic ingredients at the local grocery store.

When I first started making curries, I was unaware of the breadth and depth of curries.  Each region and country has its own types of curry.  There is a whole world of curries to explore and create.


I used shrimp in this curry, but any protein would work.  I didn't realize the shrimp I bought still had its shell on.  It was a pain.  I would recommend using shrimp without shells or tails.


This red curry recipe came from food.com.  I switched up the vegetables a bit and used shrimp instead of chicken.


The ingredients are 2 tablespoons red curry paste, 1 15-ounce can coconut milk, 1/4 cup fresh basil, 3 teaspoons fish sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/3 cup chicken stock, 1/2 cup mushroom, 1 red pepper, 1 onion, 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, 1/2 cup carrots, 1 tablespoon ginger, and 1 pound shrimp.


I added the curry paste and coconut milk to a pan.  I let is simmer for a few minutes.


After a few minutes, I added the onion, basil, fish sauce, brown sugar, and chicken stock.



I also added ginger, thinly slices carrots, sugar snap peas, sliced red bell pepper, and mushrooms.  I let the curry simmer for an additional seven minutes.




I added the frozen shrimp after seven minutes.  


I simmered the curry for about seven minutes.  I knew that it was ready when the shrimp became pink,


I ate the curry with rice.  I garnished each severing with fresh basil.


This was one of the best recipes I have made in a while.  The taste was outstanding.


It was fragrant and tropical.  The flavors were complex and layered. It has subtle sweetness, freshness from the basil, brininess from the fish sauce. 



The colors and overall appearance was beautiful.  The vegetables were cooked but not mushy.


The dish was unequivocally delicious.  I'll make this curry again.


3 comments:

Ashley said...

I love curries and this shrimp curry looks amazing! So easy too!

Unknown said...

This shrimp curry looks fantastic! Love how easy it is to make!

laura said...

Thanks ladies! It was super easy to make!