Friday, June 19, 2015

Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata with Feta


Next week I'm going to Dallas.  I have never been.  


I'm going to volunteer at the Veteran Wheelchair Games.  I volunteered last year when it was held in Philadelphia with a group of my coworkers.



We had such a good time we started discussing flying to Dallas to volunteer again.  


I didn't plan on going at the time because of the cost, but I'm going!  It will be a fun to see more events and help out.  I hope to eat some good Tex-Mex and see the Grassy Knoll as well.


I was recently given a dozen eggs and was looking for a new way to prepare them.  This is my first frittata, but it won't be my last.  The original recipe came from food.com, but I made many alterations.



I added mushrooms and asparagus and omitted the bacon.  I also switched out the cheddar cheese for feta.


The ingredients are 6 eggs, 1 cup milk, 4 green onions 1/2 cup roasted mushrooms, 1/2 cup roasted asparagus, 8 ounces feta, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and1/8 teaspoon pepper.


I whisked together the eggs and milk.



I added the sliced green onions, roasted mushrooms, and roasted asparagus.



I divided the 8 ounces of feta cheese in half.  I crumbled half of it into the egg mixture.


I poured the egg concoction into a greased pie pan.


I sprinkled the remaining 4 ounces of feta cheese on top of the frittata.


 I baked the frittata for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  The eggs will seem too soft, but they continue to cook and firm up after they are removed from the oven.


This seems like a fancy dish, even though the ingredients are all simple and cheap.


It's hearty and the vegetables are reminiscent of spring.  The feta gives the frittata a welcome pungent and salty flavor.


It's filling but not heavy.  The flavors complement each other well.


It was satisfying and appealing.  The eggs were creamy and smooth.  The vegetables were soft but not mushy.  


I was pleased with the results.  It turned out so well that I can confidently say this will not be the last frittata I post on my blog.


No comments: