Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spinach, Mushroom, and Tomato Quesadillas


I am the most scatterbrained person I know.  When I flew home for Christmas, I went to the wrong airport.  Who does that?


Today I went to a restaurant to have dinner with friends.  I was on time and waited ten minutes.  I was about to text them when I quickly checked my calendar.  

We had made plans to meet for dinner tomorrow, not today.  Yikes! I'm a mess!



In other news, my work had a birthday cake for all of the December, January, and February birthdays.  You may be wondering why such an insignificant event deserves mention.



My coworker bought a carrot cake from a bakery in Virginia, and it was amazing.  I'm not exaggerating.  It was epic, perhaps even life changing.  It could have been the best carrot cake I have ever eaten.

I kept on praising the cake, and a coworker said, "I can tell Laura really likes it."  She was right.



I made this quesadilla a couple of weeks ago.  It was delicious.  The ingredients are 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, 10 ounces white mushrooms, 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon salt, 6 ounces spinach, corn tortillas, cheese, and red pepper flakes.


I put the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and extra virgin olive oil on a baking tray.



I added the salt, basil, and oregano.  I stirred the ingredients to evenly distribute the oil and spices.  I baked the vegetables for ten minutes at 400 degrees.



I added the spinach and baked the vegetables for another 5 minutes at 400 degrees.


In a skillet over medium-high heat, I placed about an ounce of shredded cheese on top of a corn tortilla.  I used Monterrey jack.


I layered about a fourth of a cup of the roasted vegetables on the cheese.  I sprinkled on a pinch of red pepper flakes.


I added another ounce of cheese and topped everything with another tortilla.


When the tortilla was golden and the cheese melted, I flipped the quesadilla and crisped up the other side.


I let it cool a little before slicing it into two and devouring.  


This was a toothsome and delightful quesadilla.


The herbs and vegetables complemented each other.  


The outside was crunchy, and there were bits of charred cheese.


 The cheese was gooey and soft.  It's not traditional in anyway, but it's probably my favorite quesadilla recipe on my blog

No comments: