Saturday, February 28, 2015

Chai Spiced Pancakes


Until earlier this week, there had been a lamp at the bottom of my closet for over a year.  It belonged to a former roommate.


I messaged her a week ago to see if she still wanted it, and she didn't.  I gave it away a few days ago.  In the past month, I have given away or sold a guitar, a printer, and two lamps.

Getting rid of stuff is therapeutic.  My room feels more spacious and less cluttered.



I have so many pancake recipes on my blog.  Why not add another?  The base recipe came from allrecipes, but I add chai spices.  Chai spices are cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, allspice, and pepper.


The ingredients are 3/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon cardamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.


I combined the milk and vinegar and set it aside for five minutes.  In a bowl, I combined the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, inger, cardamon, allspice and ground pepper.



I whisked the dry ingredients together.


I added the melted butter and egg into the milk mixture.


I poured the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and whisked.


I poured a fourth of a cup of the pancake batter into a hot and greased skillet. I flipped the pancakes when the edges looked a little dry and bubbles were forming in the center of the pancake.


This recipe makes an exceptional and fluffy pancake.  I have used the recipe before, and the pancakes always come out light and soft.


 The chai spices were aromatic and pleasant.  I am accustomed to eating chai spices in sweet desserts.  These pancakes were not sweet, and I would have preferred more sugar.  Next time I will use four tablespoons of sugar instead of two.


Overall, these were satisfying and tasty.  

No comments: