Monday, October 21, 2013

Graham Cracker and Oatmeal Cookies


My parents tried these cookies during a master gardener course they took earlier this year.  They were so pleased with the flavor and texture that they asked for the recipe.  They told me about the cookies shortly afterwards.  When I went home last week, I was sure to get the recipe and try it out.  It is a tasty recipe.  Interestingly, it contains no eggs.  

The ingredients are 1 cup softened butter, 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 box or 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 cup walnuts, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, and 1 cup coconut.  



I began by beating the butter and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth and creamy.  My parents' kitchen has much better lighting then the kitchen in my apartment.  


The original recipe asked for half a box of graham cracker crumbs.  I weighed out half the box and then measured the quantity.  It ended up being a little less than 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs.

I added the graham cracker crumbs and oatmeal to the creamed butter and sweetened milk.  I combined all the ingredients.

After combining the crumbs and oats with the batter, I added the baking soda and baking powder to the mixture and stirred to combine.

 My mother told me that I would need to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour to thicken the batter.  I ended up adding 1/4 a cup of flour.

You can add in many different types of nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate.  My mother especially enjoys adding pecans, dried cranberries, and white chocolate.  I have strong feelings against  white chocolate and was unwilling to add it to these cookies.  I added 1/2 a cup of walnuts.

I also added chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and coconut flakes.


I stirred the batter until everything was evenly dispersed.  Doesn't that batter look delicious?  I think the large coconut flakes are better than the smaller flakes.  Smaller flakes can get lost in a batter or dough.

I spooned the batter onto a cookie sheet and baked them for 360 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.  My parents are leading the high life with a kitchen aid and cookie scooper.

These little babies are worth the hype.  The graham cracker crumbs and sweetened condensed milk provide a unique flavor.  The chewy cranberries and crunchy coconut flakes are sweet and pleasing to the palate.  

 These cookies didn't last long.  Needless to say, my visit home wasn't the healthiest week of my life.  In addition to eating a ridiculous amount of cookies, I ate more than my share of ice cream.

No comments: