Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Wedge Salad

A few weeks ago I ate a wedge salad at a nearby restaurant.  I usually don't eat salads when I go out and eat because eating out is a special occasion, and salads don't really meet the special occasion cutoff.  I broke with tradition though because it was quite late, and I didn't want something heavy before going to sleep.  I love blue cheese, thus I am a fan of the a good wedge salad. The restaurant didn't serve their wedge salad with the traditional bacon crumbles; instead, they added radishes.  I enjoyed it so much I decided to recreate it at home.

For the dressing I used 5 ounces of crumbled gorgonzola, 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt.  The salad consisted of iceberg lettuce, sliced radishes, and a healthy dollop of blue cheese dressing.


I added the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, salt, pepper, and vinegar into a bowl.



I also added blue cheese at this point.  Gorgonzola is an Italian cheese made from cows milk.  The blue veins in gorgonzola are created during the aging process.  Deep holes are punctured into the cheese allowing mold to grow deep within the cheese.  Gorgonzola gets firmer the longer it ages or ripens.


A good stir was all that was required to finish the dressing.


I love the taste of blue cheese so I really enjoyed this salad.  The dressing tasted better the second day after the flavors have melded.  On the first day the blue cheese flavor didn't have enough time to permeate the dressing.  


No comments: