Sunday, May 13, 2018

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Coconut, Walnuts, Coco Nibs, and Chocolate Chips


Happy Mothers' Day to all the Mothers out these.  I sent my mother a card, but she is not going to get it in time.  I just put it in the mail yesterday.  I am going to see her in less than a week though.


I went to the beach yesterday.  It was my first beach trip of the year.  I usually only go once or twice a year, but I hope to go a few more times this year.  The weather was wonderful.  It was warm enough to be in swimsuits, but it wasn't too hot.  We didn't have umbrellas, but still felt perfectly comfortable.


The water was pretty cold.  I went into the water up to my waist for a few seconds, and it was cold.  I couldn't have spent too much time in the ocean.


I found this whole wheat pancake recipe on Genius Kitchen.  I doubled the recipe.  I also added coconut, walnuts, coco nibs, and chocolate chips.


The ingredients are 2 cups whole wheat flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons honey, 6 tablespoons oil, 2 cups buttermilk, 4 large eggs, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup coco nibs, and 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips.  I went pretty heavy on the chocolate chips.



I whisked together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and dried coconut flakes.




I mixed in the eggs, milk, oil, and honey.



 I mixed in the chopped walnuts, coco nibs, and chocolate chips.



 I cooked the pancakes in a greased skillet over medium high heat.  I used about a third of a cup of batter for each pancake.  I cooked the first side until bubbles started to form in the center of of the pancake.  I cooked the other side for a few minutes.


These were good pancakes.  Despite the whole wheat flour, they were light.


The whole wheat flour made them a little heartier.  The pancakes were tasty.


The coconut added additional texture, flavor and sweetness.  The nuts provided some crunch.  I liked the coco nibs.  They were chocolatey but also a little bitter.


These were hearty and filling.


Because they have whole wheat, you can pretend that they are healthy too.  It was a solid whole wheat pancake recipe.  I will use it again in the future.


1 comment: