Thursday, February 18, 2016

Corn and Chorizo Soup


Every once in a while I make a recipe that tastes fantastic but looks unappealing.  This hearty corn and chorizo soup is a perfect example of a yummy dish that's a little weird looking.


Corn was domesticated in modern day Mexico.  Starting around 2500 BC corn crops spread throughout the Americas.  Corn spread to what is currently the United States in 2100 BC in what is now New Mexico and Arizona.  

Corn is a domesticated version of teosinte.  It isn't clear how ancient native Americans domesticated teosinte.  They cultivated many different corn varieties.


In the Popol Vuh, a creation story from the ancient Mayans, people were created from corn.  I read the Popol Vuh in college, but I forgot that fact and was reminded of it in Belize.


The original corn soup recipe came from the Food Network.  Their version was healthier.  I added some yummy flavor and spice by adding chorizo.  It was a wonderful addition.  I also added more tomatoes.  


The ingredients are 3 cups frozen corn, 5 Roma tomatoes, 4 cups chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 10 ounces chorizo, 1/2 onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, salt, and pepper.  I garnished with parsley.  The recipe also recomends garnishing with quest fresco and tortilla chips.


I put a cup and half of the frozen corn into a blender.  I added the tomatoes, two cups of chicken broth, and oregano.


I blended the ingredients into a smooth puree.  


In a saucepan over medium heat,  I cooked the chorizo until it was brown.  I removed it from the pan.


I cooked the chopped onion in the chorizo grease until the onion was soft.  I stirred regularly.


I added the garlic and cooked for another minutes.


I added the pureed ingredients and the remaining two cups of chicken broth.  I brought the soup up to a simmer.


I added the remaining cup and a half of frozen corn and the cooked chorizo.


I let the soup simmer and thicken for twenty minutes.


I seasoned the soup with salt and pepper according to taste.


I garnished each bowl with fresh parsley.


This soup wasn't impressive looking, but it made up for its mediocre appearance with delicious and spicy flavors.

The texture was thick and smooth.  It was hearty, meaty, and flavorful.


It wasn't hot, but the chorizo added warmth and toothsome spices.


The tomatoes were a little acidic, which balanced out the heavy sausage.  The parsley and tomatoes were fresh and light.  The corn and meat combination was dense and rich.


This was a nourishing and mouthwatering soup.  I wouldn't change anything about it.  Yum!

No comments: