Sunday, December 13, 2015

Hoisin Glazed Chicken Thighs


I made a big purchase on Friday.  I bought a new laptop.  I get anxious when I make big purchases.  


The first laptop I was given completely froze after I set it up.  The screen went black and with a white X in the middle of the page.  I took it to the store, and they gave me another one.  





Given my age, I should understand computers better.  I am trying to transfer my photos on my olde laptop to the new one, but I'm finding it difficult.  My old laptop is very old and the operating systerm doesn't mesh with the newer operating systems.  Frustrating!


On a happier note, I went to a German Christmas market in Philadelphia yesterday.  I bought a new purse, a yummy apricot strudel, and a doner kabob.  I debated buying an ornament, but I held off.  




I found this chicken recipe on a website about parenting.  I used the same ingredients, but baked the chicken instead of grilling it.   I was drawn to the recipe because I have a jar of hoisin sauce in my fridge, and I'm not sure what to do with it.


The ingredients are 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 12 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds.  



I combined the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, honey, sesame oil, and garlic.





I added the chicken and stirred until the chicken was evenly coated with the glaze.  I let the chicken marinate in the glaze for an hour in the refrigerator.



I placed the chicken in a casserole dish and baked it at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  After 15 minutes, I flipped the chicken upside-down.  


I sprinkled the chicken evenly with sesame seeds once I removed it from the oven.


I garnished each serving with chopped green onions.


It was a flavorful yet simple dish.  There were many complex, salty, and dark flavors.  It was sweet, salty, subtle fishy, and tangy.


The glaze caramelized and sweetened in the oven.  The chicken was moist.


I think baking it made the process easier.  I didn't have to stand near the stove and babysit the chicken.  I just stuck it in the oven and set the timer.


The glaze was fantastic.   I think it would be delicious with fish too.  It made a scruptious and satisfying main dish.  I would make it again.

5 comments:

Michele said...

This sounds fabulous! I'm always looking for new dinner recipes. This one looks easy and delicious. ;)

Eva said...

Your chicken looks awesome! I bet it would go great over some jasmine rice, or even in a sushi "bowl"!

laura said...

Thanks ladies! They were easy and delicious. A sushi bowl sounds like a great idea!

Unknown said...

I love hoisin! Especially when paired with chicken thighs. This dish sounds delicious and perfect for a weeknight meal!

laura said...

Thanks Linsey! I have just started using hoisin myself!