Saturday, September 12, 2015

Braised Balsamic Chicken


Every summer the embassies in DC have open their doors for tourists on one Saturday.  I attended this summer and signed up on a few email lists.


I got an email a few weeks ago from the Costa Rica Association asking for volunteers for their Independence Day Celebration.  With spare time on my hands, I signed up.

When I showed up at the informational meeting, I was the only person not from Costa Rica.  It's going to be cool.


I have a tendency of hanging out with the same people.  It's nice to expand my interactions to people outside my daily grind.



This recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I switched the garlic powder for minced garlic.  I also changed the cooking process.  I added the onions at the same time as the chicken.  They wanted you to cook the chicken on each side for three to four minutes before adding the onions.


The ingredients are 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 onion, 1 14/5 ounce can diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.


I sprinkled each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.  There is nothing as unappetizing as raw chicken.


I warmed the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and then added the chicken thighs.  I then added the sliced onions and minced garlic.



I browned each side of the chicken for three to four minutes.


I added the can of diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. 


I added the basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.



I stirred the ingredients together and brought the sauce up to a simmer.   I let is softly simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.


This was an appetizing meal.  The sauce was acidic, a little tart, and sweet.  


The onions became soft and sweet.  The herbs were aromatic and appealing.


It was flavorful and complex.  It was also satisfying and healthy, a combination that doesn't always describe the same dish.


It was good.  I would make it again.

No comments: