Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Roasted Carrots with Chive Vinaigrette


Vegetable dishes are not popular items on food blogs.  People read food blogs to look at pictures of desserts.  Dishes that involve chocolate, caramel, or peanut butter are going to have more views than roasted carrots.


These carrots are not decadent.  Instead they are versatile, nourishing, and tasty.  They're not as desirable as a chocolate and caramel brownie, but they have a fraction of the calories.



I'm not doing a good job of selling this dish.  I enjoyed it, and I felt no guilt afterwards.  It is satisfying enough to have seconds, and there is no reason why you can't.


It is a good recipe for a potluck because it can be eaten cold or warm.  The original recipe came from the Pioneer Woman blog, but I made a few alterations.  I used less vinaigrette for the amount of roasted carrots, and I replaced all the herbs with chives.


The ingredients are 1/8 cup and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon apple vinegar, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic, heaping 1/4 cup chives, 3 pounds of carrots, salt, and pepper.

I chopped the carrots into 1/4 inch wide and 3 inch long sticks.  I sprinkled on 2 tablespoons of olive oil, pepper, and salt.  I baked the carrots for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. I stirred the  carrots about every 7 minutes.



I prepared the vinaigrette while the carrots roasted.  I added the 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, and chives into a bowl.




I whisked vigorously. 


Once the carrots were roasted, I stirred the vinaigrette into the carrots.


 It was a delicious, fresh, and herby side dish.  The chives had a distinct, savory flavor that paired well with the mustard and vinegar.


 These carrots would make an excellent accompaniment to many main dishes.  I'm glad I used less vinaigrette.  The carrots were thoroughly coated but not swimming in the dressing.


No comments: