Monday, December 22, 2014

Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini


I did something pretty incredible last friday.  I left work early to take a plane home for Christmas.  I arrived at the airport with plenty of time.  When I arrived, I looked at my ticket to see which terminal I was leaving from.


I looked at the ticket and realized I was at the wrong airport.  Who does that?  I ran outside and found a taxi.  This was around 3:30 on friday afternoon. 

The drive normally would have taken 50 minutes, but because rush hour traffic had started, it took over an hour and a half.  I missed my flight.  I also paid $150 for a taxi.  It was a very depressing afternoon.


They got me on another flight for early the next morning, and I have since arrived home.  


It takes a special kind of person to go to the wrong airport.  I had looked at my ticket several times, but clearly did not pay attention to the details.


The tomato soup recipe came from allrecipes.  I added different spices and a mountain of cheese tortellini, but it is basically the same recipe.


The ingredients for this recipe are 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup chopped carrots, 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes, 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, hot sauce, 1 pinch red pepper flakes, and 20 ounces cheese tortellini.


I cooked the chopped onion  and minced garlic in the hot olive oil until the onion was tender.


I added the carrots and cooked the carrots and onion for another seven minutes.


I added crushed tomatoes, broth, and soy sauce.


I added the dried oregano, dried basil, and salt.


I added the bay leaves and red pepper flakes.


I added the black pepper and hot sauce.  I put the temperature on low and let the soup simmer for 13 minutes.


After 13 minutes, I added the cheese tortellini.  I cooked the soup for seven additional minutes.


This was a flavorful and savory soup.  The tomato soup had layers of flavors from the spices and soy sauce.  It has a little kick from the red pepper flakes and hot sauce.


I enjoyed the tortellini to soup ratio.  It was packed full of tortellini.


It was warm and filling.   It was the perfect comfort food for a cold day.  Adding grated cheddar cheese would make this soup even more delicious.


The tortellinis absorbed too much of the soup after the second day.  The tortellinis were swollen with tomato soup.  I would cook the tortellini separately and then added the desired amount to individual servings.


Tomato soup is one of my favorites, and this recipe didn't disappoint.  It was aromatic and nourishing.  It is an easy and delicious way to get more vegetables in your diet.

No comments: