Sunday, June 22, 2014

Steak and Asparagus Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette


I ate a steak and asparagus salad for brunch a little over a month ago.  It was memorable not only because of the wonderful salad I ate, but also because a random runner photo bombed our group photo.


We were sitting in the restaurant's patio.  Just as the server took our picture, a runner stopped, squatted to be in the frame, and posed.  As soon as the photo was taken, the runner continued on his way.  I never even saw him.


It was one of the best photo bombed pictures I have ever seen.  The runner was front and center.  Both his hand were doing peace signs.  It takes a gutsy man to do that.  I respect his style.




It was a delicious salad, and I knew when I tasted it that I would try and recreate it at home.  I think my homemade version is actually better because it has caramelized onions and blue cheese crumbles.  The ingredients for the salad are 1 pound flank steak, 1/4 cup soy sauce, zest and juice of one orange, 1 red onion, 4 tablespoons oil, 1 bunch asparagus, salt, cherry tomatoes, blue cheese, and arugula.  


The ingredients for the mustard vinaigrette are 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup mustard, 1 clove minced garlic, salt, and pepper.  This makes enough for four healthy servings.


I first marinated the steak.  The marinade contains soy sauce, orange zest, orange juice, and a sprinkling of salt.




I put the flank steak in the marinade and let it bath in the fridge for about two hours.  Raw meat looks a little gross.


I decided to caramelize the red onions for a little more flavor.  I heated up a couple of tablespoons of oil in a skillet and then added a thinly sliced red onion and some salt.



I let the onions caramelize for around 17 minutes on high to medium high heat.  I stirred regularly.


I cut off the ends of the asparagus and chopped the stocks into two equal pieces.  I drizzled the asparagus with oil and salt.  I used coconut oil.  


I made sure all the asparagus pieces were evenly coated with the oil and salt.  I baked for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.


I cooked the steak indoors in a skillet, but the meat could be cooked outside on a grill too.  I salted both sides and put it into a hot skillet.  I cooked each side for 3 to 4 minutes for medium rare.


After the meat was cooked, I let it rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes.  It needs to rest so that the juices don't run out of the meat when it's cut.


While the meat rested, I made the dressing.  I added the extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, mustard, minced garlic, salt and pepper into a mason jar.




I shook the vinaigrette vigorously until it was smooth and fully combined.


 At this point, all the components were ready.  It was time to construct the salad.  I added a bed of arugula to a plate.


I added cherry tomatoes and some of the caramelized onions.


I added some asparagus and blue cheese.



I sliced the steak against the grain and added a few slices on the top of the salad.


I poured over some of the creamy mustard dressing, and it was ready for consumption.


 It is hard to pick my favorite part.  There are so many delicious ingredients.  It is a very flavorful and savory salad.


It's a hearty salad won't leave you hungry in a few hours.  It has many strong, tempting flavors.  The mustard vinaigrette, caramelized onions, and blue cheese pack a strong, toothsome punch.


This is my favorite salad I have posted on my blog to date.  I wouldn't change anything.  The dressing fit the salad well.  Two enthusiastic thumbs up!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great combo! That dressing sounds delicious!

laura said...

Thanks Lindsey! The dressing went well with all the ingredients