Thursday, April 24, 2014

Carrot Cake Pancakes


I have shared a string of pancake and carrot recipes.  This won't be the last pancake recipe I post either, because I just made a new kind today that I'll post in the near future.  


I like making pancakes for dinner because they are super fast, and I can eat the leftovers for breakfast.  Pre-made  are great because there fast but still homemade and delicious.


The original recipe came from the food network.  I made a few alterations of course.  You will be interested to know that carrots were used in deserts since the medieval period.  Sugar was scarce, and carrots added sugar.  



The ingredients are 1 1/4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons walnuts, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 dash nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 egg, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 cup milk, 2 cups grated carrots, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/3 cup crushed, drained pineapple, and 1 teaspoons vanilla.


I began by adding the flour, walnuts, baking powder, salt, and all the spices into a bowl.



In another bowl, I added the vanilla, egg, brown sugar, and milk.


I whisked the liquid ingredients together.


I added the carrots and coconut to the liquids.  I should have added the pineapple at this point.


I added the raisins to the dry ingredients.


I added the liquid carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and stirred.  


I then decided to add the pineapple.  I should have added it before, but I forgot.


Interesting looking texture.  I tasted it at this point and was nervous the flavor wouldn't be great, but it was good in the end!


I cooked the pancakes.  The problem with pancakes is that the are quick to cook, but they take long enough I get impatient.  You can't really walk away and leave them on the stove because they are ready in a matter of minutes.


Because I'm exceptionally healthy, I like to eat my pancakes with fruit instead of syrup.  Syrup would be better, but the remaining crushed pineapple was good on top too.  The original recipe had a cream cheese icing.  That would be amazing.


These were delicious and sweet.  They tasted like carrot cake.  They look a little longer to cook because they had so much additional liquid with the pineapple and carrots.  They weren't as cook as the chocolate pancakes I have made, but it's hard to beat anything chocolate.

No comments: