Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fig and Prosciutto Pizza

The inspiration for this recipe came from a pizza I ate recently in Wilmington Delware at a restaurant named Pizza By Elizabeth.  On their menu they have a pizza named the Shannon, which is toped with fig jam, prosciutto, scallions, and gorgonzola cheese.

I recreated the recipe with a frozen naan as a crust, fig butter, prosciutto, and brie.  I used fig butter because I couldn't find any fig jelly at Trader Joe's last night. 


Because my crust was initially frozen, I placed it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit while I sliced my cheese.  I then spread it with fig butter.  Fruit butters apparently do not contain pectin, which makes them more spreadable then jams.  Fruit butters also have more fruit and less sugar than jams.



I layered on two slices of prosciutto.  Prosciutto is ham that has been cleaned and cured in salt.  After two months, they gradually press the ham to drain any remaining blood and throughly wash it to remove the salt.  It is hung in a dark, well-ventilated area until dry.  Once dried, the meat is aired at room  temperature for up to 18 months.  


I then added brie and baked the pizza for about 4 minutes at 350 degrees.  Brie is a soft cheese made from cows' milk.


This was a close replication of the pizza I ate in the restaurant.  If you enjoy the combination of sweet and savory, you will enjoy this fig and prosecution combination.  I prefered the pizza with a milder cheese, and I appreciated texture of the brie's rind.


No comments: