Monday, January 30, 2017

Orange Chocolate Pancakes


I'm back on my pancake kick.  For a while, I posted a few overnight oatmeal recipes.  I posted raspberry and almond overnight oatmeal, banana overnight oatmeal, apple pie overnight oatmeal, and overnight carrot cake oats.  I still eat overnight oatmeal most days, but I haven't felt the oatmeal deserves a post.




I like breakfast.  It is the largest category of recipes on my blog.  What can I say?  It is the most important meal of the day.




I have used this base chocolate pancake recipe many times.  It is a favorite.  I added orange extract and chunks of a chocolate orange.


The ingredients are 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract, and 1/2 cup chopped chocolate orange.


I combined the milk, melted butter, egg, and orange extracts.



In another bowl,  I combined the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.



 I poured the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and whisked everything together.


Once the batter was incorporated, I added the chopped chocolate orange.


I cooked the pancakes in a hot, greased pan.  I am a pro at cooking pancakes now.


As is my custom, I ate these pancakes toped with greek yogurt.  It seems a little healthier than syrup.  I also think the yogurt looks pretty and billowy. 


This recipe makes fantastic pancakes, which is why I have used it so much.  It's rich and chocolaty.


The texture is also fluffy and pillowy.


The chocolate became melted, gooey, and creamy.


These had less of an orange flavor than I had hoped.  I think I could have added another teaspoon of orange extract.


Despite the weak orange flavor, these pancakes were delicious.  They were sweet, yummy, and decadent.


No comments: