Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Muffins


I am currently eating lots of cheese and crackers.  I have been eating some type of cheese and crackers a few times a week for over a month.  I have eaten many delicious varieties of  cheese.


I can't even remember all of the kinds I have tried.  I currently have Jarlsberg, a mild cows cheese with jalapeño, and a couple of goat cheeses in my fridge.

I recently tried a peppermint and white chocolate goat cheese. It may sound a little off putting, but it was quite delicious.  It was like a cheesecake and not a savory cheese.  I have no problem combining sweet things with cheese.


When I was growing up, we often ate jam and cheese toast.  My dad often makes a trail mix that consists of raisins, chocolate chip, and cheddar cheese.  I regularly eat cheese with apples or dried fruits.  I think sugar and cheese make perfect sense together.



I have planned on making these muffin for a while.  I had the idea several months ago.  I had to make two batters of course, but it was worth the extra effort.  The chocolate muffin recipe came from allrecipes.com.  The peanut butter muffin recipe came from Taste of Home.  I only made half a batch of each recipe.



The ingredients for the chocolate muffins are 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup peanut butter chips. 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup milk, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil.  I used peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate chips called for in the original recipe.


The ingredients for the peanut butter muffins are 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  I added the chocolate chips to the original recipe.



I started with the peanut butter muffins.  I added the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a big bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.



I cur int the peanut butter and butter until the mixture looked like coarse crumbs.


I mixed in the egg and milk.


I stirred in the chocolate chips once the batter was just combined.


For the chocolate muffins, I added the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.



I added the wet ingredients right into the dry because I'm a rebel.  I should have mixed them separately.  I added the greek yogurt, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg right into the flour mixture.




I stirred the batter together and then mixed in the peanut butter chips.


I scooped about a tablespoon of the chocolate batter into each muffin liner.  I then added the same amount of peanut butter batter.


I added another scope of chocolate batter and another scope of peanut butter batter.  This makes 11 or 12 muffins.  I made 11 muffins.


I sprinkled each muffin with about a half of a teaspoon of demerara sugar.


 I baked these for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.


I let them cool for a few minutes in the pan after they were done baking.  I let them cool completely on a wire rack.


These were toothsome little muffins.  They were sweet and tender.


There was a good peanut butter and chocolate taste.  The chocolate and peanut butter cups added extra sweetness and creaminess.  


 The texture was moist and light.


They were a little decadent for breakfast, but that is why muffins for breakfast.  It what allows me to eat cake for breakfast without guilt.


Peanut butter and chocolate are always a great pair, and they don't disappoint in these muffins either.  They were delicious.



No comments: