Sunday, December 4, 2016

Raspberry and Almond Overnight Oatmeal with Coconut


It is officially the holiday season.  There have already been a few Christmas or light parades, the radio stations are playing Christmas music, and I have already attended my first Christmas party.


I'm a little caught of guard that Christmas is just around the corner.  I don't purchase many Christmas presents, and fortunately I already know what I'm going to give everyone.  I don't give all of my siblings gifts.  Instead, we alternate between giving one person a gift a year.

This year I am giving a gift to my sister and her family.  I have a plan, but it is going to require a little bit of thought and leg work.  If I can carry it off well, I think they are going to like it.



I have embraced the overnight oatmeal craze.  I have made a few versions, including banana, apple pie, and carrot cake.  It is such a convenient breakfast.  I prepare everything the night before and just have to grab the jar as I run out the door.


The ingredients for this oatmeal are 1/4 cup raspberries, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, pinch of salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 tablespoon coconut, and 1 tablespoon slivered almonds.


I added the raspberries, chia seeds, vanilla, and maple syrup into a jar.



I added the oatmeal, salt, and almond milk.  I stirred the ingredients, put on the lid, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.


I prepared a small jar with coconut flakes and almonds.  When I ate my oatmeal the next day, I added the coconut and almonds.



This was a delicious breakfast.  The oats soften and become creamy.  The raspberries were sweet and tart.


The coconut added delicious tropical flavor, a little texture, and sweetness. The almonds were crunchy and nutty.  It was a wonderful and flavorful combination of flavors.


This is one of my favorite overnight oatmeal recipes.  I can't decide if I prefer my apple pie overnight oatmeal or this raspberry and almond version.  It was scrumptious! 

No comments: