Saturday, August 20, 2016

Butterscotch Cookies with Butterscotch Chips


In the last two days, I have been in a car for at least five hours a day.  I'm not crazy about long car rides.  I get tired and restless.


I was fortunate to have great travel companions on both trips.  We had interesting conversations.  I was also able to take short naps on both trips.

I like car naps.  I feel refreshed afterwards, and it makes the trip go by quicker.  The only negative aspect of car naps is I often get a sore neck.  



I usually like chocolate in my desserts and baked goods.  Whether it is cake, cookies, or muffins, I like it packed with chocolate.  I decided to switch it up and make butterscotch cookies.  My preference for chocolate is insatiable, but these cookies were yummy.



I started with a chocolate chip cookie that contains a package of vanilla pudding.  I replaced the vanilla pudding mix with a butterscotch pudding mix.  I also replaced the chocolate chip cookies with butterscotch chips.


The chocolate chip cookie recipe came from allrecipes.com.  The recipe is entitled award winning soft chocolate chip cookies, so you know it has got to be good.  I only made half a batch of cookie dough.


The ingredients are 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 3.4 ounce package instant butterscotch pudding mix, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 cups butterscotch chips.




I added the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar into a bowl.  I creamed the butter and sugars for a few minutes until the mixture was lighter and fluffy.




I mixed in the eggs one at a time.  I then mixed in the vanilla.


I added the baking soda, flour, and salt.  I stirred the batter together until everything was combined.


I stirred in the butterscotch chips.


I greased cookie sheets.  I scooped about a tablespoon and a half of batter onto the sheet about two inches apart.


I cooked the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.


These cookies were tasty.


The texture was soft and tender.  The edges were golden and caramelized.  


 The cookies were sweet and caramelized.


 The butterscotch flavor was prominent.


They were satisfying, comforting, and delicious.  I ate many, and my coworkers enjoyed them too.



3 comments:

Stephanie | Worth Whisking said...

Butterscotch is highly underrated, IMO! These cookies sound delicious!

laura said...

I agree Stephanie! I need to use it more often!

Unknown said...

How long would these cookies last?