Monday, August 22, 2016

Couscous with Golden Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Green Onions


Today was my first day of a new job.  It was a bit overwhelming because I was given an abundance of information.  It's going to be a challenge, but I'm excited for the opportunity to learn and grow professionally.  


My commute is shorter, and I ended up arriving over twenty minutes early.  I'm going to need a few days to get accustomed to my new route and plan my mornings.

This is the first time I have posted a couscous recipe on my blog.  According to Wikipedia, couscous is originally a North African dish made from semolina.   It is often served with stews on top.



The original name comes from the Arabic word Keskes, which is the cooking vessel couscous was cooked in.  Couscous is made by rolling wet semolina into small pellets.  It was traditionally done by hand.  

This couscous recipe came from epicurious.com.  It is highly rated.  I only used a cup of pine nuts because that is what I had on hand.  I also used less butter because I'm trying to be healthier.  I thought it was fantastic without the additional butter.


The ingredients are 3 3/4 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 1/2 cups plain couscous, 1 1/2 cups golden raisins, 1 cup pine nuts, 7 green onions, and 2 tablespoons melted butter.


I brought the broth and salt to a boil.  I turned of the heat and added the couscous and raisins.



I covered the pan with a lid and let is stand for 15 minutes.  I stirred the couscous.  This required me to tip it into a bigger bowl because my saucepan was too small.


I added the pine nuts, green onions, and butter.  



I stirred the couscous until it was well incorporated. 


This dish was delicious and flavorful.


The couscous was fluffy and light.  It was buttery and savory.  
 

 The raisins were sweet and chewy.  The pine nuts were crunchy.  It had many delightful textures.


This made an excellent side dish.  Next time I make this, I'll need to make a stew and serve them together.


It was an excellent and yummy side dish.  It was a little different then your regular pasta or rice.  It was a welcome change.



No comments: