Monday, January 9, 2017

Chocolate Chip Cookie Blossoms


I bought a bag of chocolate kisses to make triple chocolate blossoms, but I didn't even use half the bag to make those cookies.


Instead of just eating the candies, I made them less healthy by plopping them into the center of chocolate chip cookies.  Why not?  It was during the holidays, the time when I always eat poorly.








The chocolate chip cookie recipe for these cookies came from allrecipes.com.  I only made half of the recipe.  I also omitted the water.  This recipe wants you to mix hot water with the baking soda, but I never do.  It works out wonderfully without this step.  I added a chocolate kiss on top of each cookie right as I removed them from the oven.


The ingredients for these cookies are 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup chocolate chips, and about 20 chocolate kisses.


I beat the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together for a few minutes.





I beat in the egg and then the vanilla extract.


I added the salt, baking soda, and flour.  I slowly stirred the dry ingredients into the batter.



I mixed in the chocolate chips.


I made mounds of dough about two inches from one another on a baking sheet lined with a baking made.  Each mound had about a tablespoon and a half of dough.  I baked the cookies for ten minutes at 350 degrees.


I added a chocolate kiss in the center of each cookies as soon as I removed the cookies from the oven.


I let the cookies cool a little on the pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


This recipe makes excellent cookies.  They are caramelized, buttery, and sweet.


The texture is excellent.  The centers are chewy and soft. The edges become a little golden and crisp in the oven.


The chocolate chips are creamy, milky, and smooth.  


The kisses added even more chocolate, and chocolate makes everything better.  I think that the kisses made these cookies a little special too.  They are a little more decadent then the regular chocolate chip cookie.


It is hard to go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie, and these didn't disappoint.  They were delicious and comforting.  They are the perfect thing to make on a cold, winter's day.


No comments: