Saturday, July 16, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bacon


Several months ago I went to a restaurant near my office to get lunch.  I was paying for my salad when I saw chocolate chip cookies with bacon near the register.  On a whim, I bought one.


Bacon is huge right now.  People add it to all kind of desserts, such as cupcakes, bars, chocolate, candy, cookies, and ice cream.  I have made biscotti that had bacon.

We add it to salads, macaroni and cheese, pancakes, waffles, side dishes, burgers, and sandwiches.  It is so versatile.  



Have you seen the new Ghostbuster movie?  I have seen a few previews, and it looks good.  I might see it this afternoon.  When it is hot and muggy outside, seeing a movie in a cool theater is one of my favorite things.


Humid and hot weather also encourages me to eat more ice cream.  I don't need to much enticement to eat ice cream, but my ice cream consumption has increased dramatically in the last month or so.  I have been exercising more, but I think my efforts have been nullified by filling my belly with ice cream.



 
The chocolate chip cookie recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I just added cooked and chopped bacon.



The ingredients at 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup cooked bacon.


I creamed the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar for a few minutes.




I beat in the egg and then the vanilla.


I mixed in the baking soda, salt, and flour.



I stirred in the chocolate chips.


I stirred in the chopped and cooked bacon.


I didn't refrigerate this cookie dough.  I wish that I had.  Cold dough doesn't become flat cookies.   I scooped one and a half tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  I placed the dough mounds two inches apart.


I baked the cookies for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.


These cookies becomes caramelized and golden brown in the oven.


The texture was chewy and tender.


They were sweet, buttery, and comforting.


The bacon was smokey and savory.  The chocolate chips were bitter and creamy.


The sweet, savory, and butter flavors paired each other well.  They were decadent and toothsome.


These were simple and a little wicked.  They were a satisfying and welcome treat.  I ate them with gusto.

2 comments:

Stephanie | Worth Whisking said...

Yes, it's amazing how many foods include bacon these days. It always seems to work, though! These cookies, no doubt, have the perfect combination of salty and sweet!

laura said...

Stephanie, I agree! Bacon suprisingly works in lots of foods!