Monday, February 24, 2014

Rocky Road Fudge Brownies


What a great name! With such a name, can these brownie disappoint?  I think not.


They were tearing down a church near my office building today.  Some coworkers and I stopped and watched for a bit.  While watching, I felt something fly from across the street into my eye.  My left eye has been swollen, red, and runny ever since.  People probably think I have pink eye or something.  That was the low part of my day.



The high point of my day has been looking at pictures of these brownies.  I made them last Friday for a friend's chocolate party.  It was an excellent party theme.  The brownie was invented at the Palmer Hotel in Chicago as a dessert for ladies.  They are still made at the hotel according to the original recipe.  Next time your in Chicago, you'll have to check it out!





The ingredients are a pan of 9 inch by 9 inch brownies, 3 cups chocolate chips, 1 can sweetened condensed milk,  1 jar marshmallow creme, and 1/3 cup peanuts.

I began by putting the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a sauce pan over medium heat.  

While it melted into a thick, chocolaty goo, I prepared the other components.  


I dolloped the marshmallow cream over the cooled brownies.  In the early 1900s, Archibald Query sold marshmallow cream door to door in Massachusetts.  He sold the recipe to two candy makers for $500, who still sell marshmallow cream today.  This is a lot of fluff.  You could use less. 




I sprinkled the peanuts on top of the marshmallow cream.


 Once the fudge layer was melted, I scooped it onto the marshmallow layer.


I tried to swirl the fudge and marshmallow layer together, but you couldn't really tell in the end.


I smoothed out the fudge and let it cool before cutting into squares.


These were a messy, chocolaty delight.  If you are looking for a decadent, rich dessert, this is your kind of bar.


I really enjoyed the squishy marshmallow layer. The crunch, salty peanuts provided a welcome texture, and the brownie and fudge layers were rich and satisfying.  I'll definitely make these again!

No comments: