Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Whole Grain Pumpkin Yeast Bread


I made bread again!  I recently made 100% whole wheat sandwich bread and 100% whole wheat bread.  Those may sound like the exact same recipe, but there were subtle differences.


I have made other yeast bread recipes in the past.  Over a year a go I made pumpkin cinnamon rolls,  raspberry rolls with lemon glaze, and regular cinnamon rolls.

Over three years ago, I made my dad's whole wheat bread recipe.  We made it together when I was home for Christmas almost three years ago.  Time flies!  Over three years ago I made sweet potato whole wheat rolls and honey whole wheat bread.






This whole grain pumpkin yeast bread recipe came from the King Arthur website.  I replaced the brown sugar with molasses and the ground ginger with pumpkin pie spice.  I ran out of brown sugar and ginger.  I should check my pantry before starting a recipe!  I also added powdered milk.


The ingredients for this recipe are 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup glasses, 1/4 cup powdered milk, 2 teaspoons dry yeast, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 cup canned pumpkin puree, 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 3/4 to 2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.


I made sure that the water was warm.  It was body temperature warm.  I added the yeast and let it activate in the water for about ten minutes.


I added the molasses, powdered milk, oil, and pumpkin puree into a mixing bowl with a dough hook attachment.



I added the pumpkin pie spice, allspice, cinnamon, and salt.



I added the watery yeast mixture.  I mixed the dough together.


I mixed in the whole wheat flour.



I gradually added the white flour.  I stopped adding flour when the dough stopped sticking to the sides of the mixing bowl.



I moved the dough into a greased bowl.  I covered the bowl with plastic warp and let the dough double in size.  This took about an hour.


I then punched the dough down.  I formed it into a loaf and added it to a greased nine by five inch loaf pan.  I covered the pan and let the dough rise again.  I let it rise until the dough had risen about an inch from the top of the pan.


I let the loaf bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let it cool a little in the pan before placing the loaf on a wire rack.



This was delicious bread.  It has nice, warm autumnal spices.


The bread had a hint of pumpkin flavor as well.  It had a beautiful pumpkin hue.


I ate this with apple jam, which was a perfect pairing.  I also found some pumpkin spice gouda.  It sounds questionable, but it was tasty.  It was a flavorful and appetizing combination.


The bread had a tender and soft texture, though the texture wasn't as good as the 100 percent whole wheat sandwich bread I made earlier.


It was a fun, fall themed loaf of bread.


It was homey, warm, and aromatic.

This would have been delicious with apple butter of pumpkin butter as well.


I would make this recipe again.  It was fun and toothsome.

No comments: