Sunday, October 15, 2017

100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread


I am in a bread making mood right now.  This is only the second bread recipe I have posted in a while, but I have made this recipe twice and other recipe I'll post in the near future.


Last week I posted a classic 100% whole wheat recipe.  It may sound similar to this recipe, but there are some important differences.

This recipe has milk, orange juice, and mashed potato flakes in the recipe.  It uses butter instead of oil.  It also uses white sugar instead of molasses or honey.



Bread is one of the oldest prepared foods.  There is evidence of bread making in Europe dating back 30,000 years.  There is starch residue on rocks used at that time for pounding.  During the neolithic age people started agriculture, and grains were used to make bread.


Bread is a staple in the Middle East, Europe, and North Africa.   The term "bread-winner" and "breadbasket" demonstrate breads roll as a major food source.


This whole wheat bread recipe came from King Arthur's website.  I think the recipe calls for way too much flour.  After adding the flour, I ended adding a couple tablespoons more of milk, orange juice and water.  I made this recipe again and added about 3/4 of a cup less of flour, but still adding a couple tablespoons extra of orange juice.



 The ingredients for this recipe are 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 1/2 cup lukewarm water, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup orange juice, 5 tablespoons melted butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 cup dry milk powder, 3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes, 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour.  It calls for 3 3/4 cups, but I think 3 cups at most.


I let the yeast activate in the warm water with a pinch of sugar for 15 minutes.


I added the warm milk, orange juice, milk powder, and instant potato flakes to a mixing bowl.



I added the melted butter, salt, sugar, and flour.  I added the yeast and water.



I added the yeast and water. I kneaded the dough with a bread hook for seven minutes.  I let the dough rise in a greased glass bowl for about and hour.  It doubled in size.  I punched the dough down and let it rise again in a loaf pan.  I let it rise for the second time for about another hour.


I let the bread cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let it cool on wire rack.


Even though this recipe calls for too much flour, it is a wonderful recipe.  I have made three different bread recipes in the last couple of months and this is the best.


The bread is so soft and tender.  It remains moist and fresh for at least a week.


I think the milk powder and instant potato flakes made this bread's texture so amazing.


It was homey, delicious, and the texture was perfection.


This recipe is so good that I made it again today and just finished eating a slice.  It was really scrumptious. 


 I am really excited that I am going to be eating sandwich made with this bread for a whole week.


 I am definitely going to make this recipe again.  It is wonderful. 


No comments: