Wednesday, May 6, 2015

M&M Cookies


A few weeks ago I went to Boston.  I ate some delicious baked goods, including a chunk of a friend's giant MandM cookie.


I was envious, but there were so many delicious sweets, and I couldn't eat them all.  I did my best, but there are limits to what a person can achieve.





These cookies were as buttery and delicious as the bakery's, though not as huge.  My friend's cookie was much more attractive though.


The candy shell disintegrated in the hot oven.  The candies in my friend's cookie were pristine.  I don't know how the bakery did it.  It's like magic.


I got this recipe off the M and M package.  I split the batch in half, but made it exactly as directed otherwise.

The ingredients are 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup chocolate covered candies.


I creamed the brown sugar, white sugar, and butter together for a couple of minutes.



I added the vanilla and egg beat the mixture for another minute.


I added the flour, salt, and baking soda.


I stirred until everything was combined.  I stopped and scraped the sides of the bowl to ensure there were no clumps of butter or flour not being incorporated into the batter.


I added the bright candies, the best part.  I stirred them in by hand.


I scooped the cookie dough onto a greased sheet pan while the oven preheated to 350 degrees.  The gobs of cookie dough were spaced a couple of inches apart so they didn't spread and merge into a giant sheet of cookies.


I baked the first batch of cookies for 12 minutes.  It was too much time.  The cookies were good but too brown for my taste.  The second batch baked for ten minutes.  I would check them after ten.


I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the sheet pan before transferring them to a wire rack.  


The exterior was buttery and crisp, but the interior was soft and chewy.  


They were simple and homey.  They were good old-fashioned, nostalgic cookies.


I took them to a picnic, and people ate them with pleasure and gusto.


I wish they were more attractive, but I don't know how to prevent the shell from melting.


3 comments:

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog said...

Love these M&M's cookies! I totally have a giant bag of leftover M&M's from my Avengers Party where I made a Captain American Cookie Cake and only used red and blue M&M's so I have all the other colors leftover lol!

Unknown said...

I could go for some M&M cookies right now. They are always so much fun! Love the pretty colors!

laura said...

Thanks for visiting Ladies! M&M cookies are always yummy!