Thursday, August 3, 2017

Root Beer Barbeque Chicken Quesadillas with Caramelized Onions


Today I got completely drenched riding my bike back to my apartment.  It had started raining when I first set out, but it became a torrential downpour  after five minutes of riding.


I found it enjoyable.  I enjoy the feel of rain, on my skin, and everything looks so beautiful in the rain.  It smells clean and refreshing.  

Luckily I was heading back to my apartment so I took a nice warm shower right as I got back.




I have also made butternut squash tacos and carnitas tacos.


The root beer barbecue chicken recipe came from the Pillsbury website.  Unfortunately, I didn't make it as directed.  I added an entire 20 ounce bottle of root beer, which was say to much liquid.  I ended up adding cornstarch to thicken the sauce.  


The ingredients I used for the chicken are 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, salt, pepper, 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, 20 ounces root beer, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch.


I also used 1large onion, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, and tortillas.


I placed the chicken, barbecue sauce, and root beer into a slow-cooker.  I cooked it on low for 4 hours.




After four hours I added a slurry of cornstarch and water.  I raised the temperature to high and cooked the chicken for another 30 minutes.  I pulled the chicken apart with forks after it had finished cooking.


I added the butter and olive oil to a hot skillet.


I added a chopped onion and salt.  I cooked the onion over medium high heat for about 30 minutes.  I stirred occasionally.  I also added water to the skillet when it started to look dry.  I cooked the onions until they were caramelized and golden.


I added a tortilla to a skillet.  I added thinly sliced cheddar to one half of the tortilla.  I added some cooked chicken on top of the cheese.


I added caramelized onions and another layer of thinly sliced cheese on top of the chicken.


 I cooked the quesadilla on both sides until the tortilla was a little crisp and the cheese was melted and gooey.


This was yummy.  The chicken was tender, sweet, and flavorful.  It was soft and moist.


The cheese was creamy and a little sharp.  It was gooey and runny.


The onions were sweet and savory.  They were caramelized and golden.


All the flavors paired well together.  Overall, it was a very satisfying and tasty dish.

No comments: