Sunday, August 6, 2017

Confetti Layer Cake


I am originally from Utah, but I currently live in the Washington DC metro area.  Utah has a state holiday called Pioneer Day.



Pioneer Day is celebrated on July 24th.   It is a significant holiday in the state of Utah.  There are parades, barbecues, and fireworks.

It is almost like a second Fourth of July.  Many people get the day off of work even.  My hometown had a pancake breakfast in the park, performances throughout the day, food vendors, and a parade.



I don't really celebrate it now that I don't live in Utah.  For a few years I have planned to bake a Pioneer Day cake and bring it into work.


This year I made my long term aspiration a reality and brought in the celebratory confetti cake.  


I'm that coworker who always brining in sweets into the office.  I make it hard to make healthy choices at work.  What can I say? I like baking, and I can't eat an entire cake or batch of cookies by myself.


This recipe came from a booklet entitled Great American Cakes.  It was published by America's Test Kitchen.  My mother gave it to me when I went home this summer.  It is the first recipe I have made, but there will be other cakes in my future.

 

The ingredients for the cake are 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles, 6 large egg whites, 3/4 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 cups cake flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 16 tablespoons unsalted butter.


The ingredients for the frosting are 4 sticks unsalted butter, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 cups confectioners' sugar, and 4 - 6 drops yellow food coloring.


To make the cake, I added the egg whites, milk, and vanilla to a bowl.  I whisked these liquid ingredients together.



I added the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.  I actually forgot the sugar and added it much later, but I should have added it here.  I mixed the dry ingredients together.


I added the softened butter one tablespoon at a time while the mixer was slowly running.  The mixed it until it looked like moist crumbs.


I added half of the milk and egg mixture and stirred until combined.


I mixed in the remaining milk and eggs mixture into the batter.


I stirred in the rainbow sprinkles.


I lined the bottom of three round cake pans with parchment paper.  I then greased the pans with spray.  I poured the batter evenly between the cake pans.  I baked the cakes for 21 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the cake cool a little for a few minutes before removing the cakes from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.



For the frosting, I added the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt into a mixer.  I beat this on medium speed for a few minutes.



I slowly beat in the powdered sugar.


I beat in the yellow food coloring.


Once the cake was completely cooled, I became to frost the cake.  I added a layer of frosting between each layer of cake.



I then spread an even layer of frosting on the outside of the cake.


This was a scrumptious cake.  


It was buttery, moist, tender, and delicious.


The texture was light.  It has a sweet, vanilla flavor.  


The frosting was creamy, smooth, and buttery.  It was sweet with a hint of vanilla.


The sprinkles made the cake fun and celebratory.


I thought the light yellow color of the frosting was pretty and festive too.


This was a delightful and delicious cake.


It was tasty and decadent.  It is a great cake for a special occasion.  I would definitely make this cake again.

No comments: