Friday, August 11, 2017

Makai Palak - Spinach Corn Curry


I don't know anything about this curry.  I found it because I googled recipes that use kasoori methi.  I have a large quantity of kasoori methi because I made ghormeh sabzi over a month ago.


Kasoori methi is dried fenugreek leaves.  A website called Gourmet Sleuth said it tastes like a combination of celery and fennel.  It is a little bitter.

India grows the most fenugreek.  It is grown in semi-arid regions.  Fenugreek is used in Indian, Turkish, Persian, Egyptian, Eritrean, and Ethiopian cuisine, among others.  



I'm a fan of Indian food and curries.  I have made navratan korma, matter paneer, butter chicken in a slow cooker, lamb rogan josh, palak paneer, and spinach dal, among others.



This is a hearty and delicious curry.  I found this makai palak recipe on a blog called Maayeka.  I'm not sure if that is the woman's name or if the word has another meaning.  I used a little more cream and used jalapeños for the green chilies.  I used ground cardamom instead of cardamom seeds too.


The ingredients for this recipe are 9 ounces spinach, 2 cups corn kernels, 3 tomatoes, 2 jalapeños, 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, salt, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon kasoori methi, 1/4 cup cream, 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, and 2 bay leaves.


I added a little sugar to a pot of boiling water.  I added the spinach and simmered it for about a minutes.  I drained and rinsed the spinach in cold water.



I blended the spinach and put it aside.


I added the butter and oil into a hot skillet.


I added the cumin, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves.  I cooked the spices for a few minutes.




Meanwhile, I blended the tomatoes, jalapeños, and ginger.



I added the tomato mixture to the fragrant spices.  I also added the turmeric powder.


I cut the corn off the cob and added it to the tomato and spice mixture.  I let the corn simmer for around three minutes.


I added the kasoori methi, garam masala, salt, and spinach.  I let this simmer for around three minutes.



I added the cream and let the curry simmer for around three minutes or so.


I added the lemon juice, and then it was ready.


 I ate this over white rice.


This was a flavorful and savory dish.  It has many warm and inviting spies.


It smelled incredible.  It has a little heat and a little acidity.  The spinach and tomatoes added freshness.


The broth was thick, creamy, and hearty.  The corn was tender.


 This was a delicious and satisfying dish.  I would make it again.


No comments: