Saturday, January 2, 2016

Oatmeal and Coconut Cookies with Cinnamon Chips


I hope you had a wonderful New Year's celebration.  I can't believe 2015 is over.  It has been a fast year.


I don't often make New Year's goals. I'm more prone to make goals around my birthday.  

Even though I don't often make goals during the new year, it is a time of reflection.  It is a good time to think of places you want to go and things you want to learn or accomplish.  I believe that New Year's goals should always be fun.  You should plan fun things to learn and interesting places to visit.


This is another cookie recipe I made during my Christmas break.  I made two more batches of cookies.  I ate so many cookies and sweets during the holidays they are practically coming out my nose.


I'm not sure where the recipe came from.  It was in my mom's recipe box.  I don't remember eating these cookies growing up, so I think the recipe was a recent  addition to her collection.


The ingredients are 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 2 eggs, 5 tablespoons milk, 2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, 1 cup walnuts, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 cup cinnamon chips.


I creamed the butter and sugar together for a few minutes.



I beat in the eggs and then the milk.


I added the oatmeal, coconut flakes, walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  I slowly mixed these ingredients into the batter.



I mixed in the flour, salt, and baking soda.  I stirred in the cinnamon chips.


I lined the baking sheets with parchment paper.  I spooned gobs of dough two inches apart on the baking sheet.


I baked the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


The combination of spices was warm, delicious, and exotic.  The cookies were very flavorful.


The cookies has a soft and tender center and a crispy exterior.


The nuts were crunchy.  The cookies were filled with the yummy textures of coconut, oatmeal, and nuts.


The cinnamon chips were sweet and pared well with the spices in the cookies.  Overall, these were good.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorite! Love the coconut and cinnamon chips in here!

laura said...

Thanks Kelly!