Thursday, March 23, 2017

Thai Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes


I'm posting another curry recipe today.  I'm a big fan of curries.  I've posted my share of curries.  I recently posted beef and vegetable green curry, chicken Massaman curry, Thai shrimp green curry, palak paneer, Sri Lankan potato and cashew curry, and yellow chicken curry.




Some older curry recipes on my blog are shrimp panang curry, chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, chickpea curry, and Thai green curry.  That's a lot of curry!


Curry originated in the Indian subcontinent.  This includes India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.  Curries from India often contain coriander, cumin, and turmeric, among other spices.  The work curry comes from a Tamil word kari, which mean sauce.  The word first appeared in English in a 1390s cookbook.


Curries are now made throughout southeast Asia, Asia, South Africa, and the West Indies.  I have never tried a curry from South Africa or the West Indies, but I'm sure they are delicious.


This Thai yellow chicken curry with potatoes recipe came from a blog called Pinch of Yum.  I used two cans of coconut milk instead of coconut cream.  I also added more onion, chicken, and fish sauce.


The ingredients are 1 tablespoon oil, 1 onion, 1.5 pounds chicken boneless thighs, 1/3 cup yellow curry paste, 10 Yukon gold baby potatoes, 2 cans coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons fish sauce.



I sautéed the chopped onion in the oil over medium high heat for three to five minutes.  The onions softened.



I added the curry paste and continued to sauté the mixture for another three to give minutes.


I added the chopped chicken.  I stirred the curry around until the chicken was coated with curry sauce.


I stirred in the cubed potatoes.


I poured in the coconut milk and some salt.


I cooked this for 20 to 25 minutes and then stirred in the fish sauce.


 I served this over white rice.  I just realized this is a pale dish.  There is not much color going on.


I have a obvious soft spot for curries.  They are super yummy and confident, but I must admit that this was not a favorite.



Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad.  It just wasn't as delicious as most of the other curries I have made.


Most of the other curries I have made have additional spice and ginger.  Those ingredients must add to the overall flavor.


This was tasty though.  It has a little spicy kick and the sauce was creamy and tropical.


The potatoes and chicken were tender.


I ate this for a few days and found it enjoyable.  I probably won't make it again though.


Unfortunately, the last recipe I posted was also a little boring.  I have made delicious things since though!  There are good things to come!


No comments: