Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Beef and Vegetable Green Curry


The holidays feel like they are officially over.  I came home for over a week this year, and I am going back today.  It was good to see my family and how everyone had changed.  


It has been very relaxing.  It is going to be an adjustment to wake up tomorrow at six and go work for nine hours.


This is the worse part of winter.  The holidays are over and it is just cold.  We still have to muddle through three months of cold weather.


I am a big fan of curry.  It is easy and very flavorful.  I recently made a Japanese curry.  I have also made chicken Massaman curry, Thai shrimp green curry, Sri Lankan potato and cashew curry, yellow chicken curry, chicken Rendang curry, and Thai pumpkin curry, among many others.  


I found this curry recipe on Food Network.  I made many adjustments.  It was originally a yellow curry recipe, but the grocery store near by house did not have yellow curry paste.  I also replaced the shrimp with beef.

The ingredients are 2 13.5 ounce cans coconut milk, 1/4 cup green curry paste, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 medium carrots, 1 small red bell pepper, 1 small onion, 1 15 ounce can baby corn, 6 springs basil, 1 jalapeño, the zest and juice of 1 lime, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1.5 pounds sirloin steak, 8 ounces sugar snap peas, 1/2 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, and 1/4 cup wanted peanuts.



I mixed together the curry paste and coconut milk together and brought this mixture to a boil.  I stirred until all the curry paste had dissolved into the coconut milk.


I added chicken broth, chopped carrots, diced red bell pepper, diced onion, and chopped baby corn.



I added the minced ginger, fish sauce, brown sugar, and thinly sliced basil leaves.



At this time, I also added lime zest and lime juice.


I added the cubed beef.  I let this simmer for twenty minutes.


I added the sugar snap peas.  I cut the peas in half.  I also added a slurry of cornstarch and about three tablespoons of water.  I let the curry simmer for another seven minutes.


I served this over rice.  I garnished each serving with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts.


This was delicious.  It was flavorful and savory. 


The dish was colorful and appealing.  There were sweet and salty undertones.


The vegetables were soft and the meat was tender.


It was hearty, but it had bright and light flavors too.


It was scrumptious.  I ate it with gusto.


No comments: