Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Yellow Chicken Curry


I am counting my steps this week.  I'm using a flimsy, free pedometer.  At least once a day I inadvertanly reset it.  I was challenged to count my steps for a week at work.  It has been a hassle so I don't think I'll do it past Friday.  


It has encouraged me to walk more.  Yesterday I walked to a metro station further away instead of getting on the one closest to me.  I walked so much today that my legs are tired.



In Thailand, people call "Thai curries" kaeng.   Not all Thai curries include coconut milk.  In fact, curries from northern Thailand rarely include coconut milk.


Thai curries are made with curry paste.  Curry pastes often included shrimp paste, garlic, onions, coriander, lemongrass, and chilies.  


Wikipedia lists many Thai curries I have never heard of, including sour curry, muslim curry, and jungle curry.

This yellow chicken curry recipe came from all recipes.com.  I added carrots, sugar snap peas,  lime juice, and baby corn.  I used serrano peppers instead of Thai chili peppers.  I also used raw chicken instead of cooked chicken.


The ingredients are 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons yellow curry paste, 1 pound chicken breast, 2 14-ounce cans coconut milk, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 yellow onion, 3 small red potatoes, 2 serrano peppers, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, one lime, 1 cup carrots, 4 ounces sugar snap peas, and 4 ounces baby corn.

I heated the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  I added the curry paste and sautéed the paste until it was fragrant.




I added one can of coconut coconut milk and stirred until the curry paste had disolved.  I brought the curry to a boil and let it simmer for few minutes.


I added the chicken broth, cubed potatoes, diced onion, chopped carrots, sugar snap peas, and baby corn.



I added the remaining can of coconut milk, diced serrano peppers, and diced chicken breasts.



I let the curry simmer for about 25 minutes.



After the curry had simmered for 25 minutes, I added the zest and juice of the lime and the fish sauce.



I served the curry over white rice.


This curry was very flavorful and savory.


 The spices were aromatic and tempting.


 The vegetables were tender and infused with warm, exotic flavors.


The chicken was moist and seasoned.


The sauce was subtly sweet and creamy.  The dish was scrumptious and heavenly.  


2 comments:

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Curry is one of my favorite things in this world - this looks delicious!

laura said...

Thanks Trish! It was delicious!