Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Red Lentil Curry


I am going through an Indian kick.  Over the past few months, I have eaten at Indian restaurants about half the time I have eaten out.


I am also drawn to Indian recipes while I'm perusing other food blogs.  The flavors and spices are so delicious.


I like making Indian food at home.  It's usually health, nourishing, and quick to prepare.  


Some people might not have the spices on hand, but I have the spices now because I regularly make Indian food.


I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and made it exactly as directed.  The ingredients are 2 cups red lentils, 1 large onion, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons curry paste, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon white sugar, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, and 1 14.25 ounce can tomato puree.


I put the lentils in a pot and covered the lentils with water.  I brought the water to a boil and simmered the lentils for over 15 minutes.


In a saucepan, I heated vegetable oil and cooked the onions until they were caramelized.  This took about 20 minutes.



I combined the curry powder, curry paste, salt, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and sugar minced garlic, minced ginger.





I added the spices to the onions once the onions were caramelized.  I continued to cook the onions for a couple of minutes and the spices became fragrant.


I stirred in the tomato puree.


I removed the pan from he heat and added the drained lentils.


I stirred in the lentils.


It was fragrant, filling, and toothsome.


It's amazing that something as simple as lentils can be so exotic and appetizing.


I ate this for lunch for several days, and I was sad when it was finished.  Sometimes after eating the same thing for a week, I'm glad when I've eaten all of a dish.


It was savory and the onions were sweet and browned.


 It was a delectable recipe.  I'm glad I made it.


No comments: