Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Honey Whole Wheat and Oat Sandwich Bread


I am posting another bread recipe.  I have made many delicious loafs of bread recipe.  Freshly made bread is so tasty.  I have been making whole wheat, so it's healthy too.


I have made harvest bread, whole grain pumpkin yeast bread, 100% whole wheat sandwich bread, and classic %100 whole wheat bread.  You might think the 100% whole wheat sandwich bread and the classic %100 whole wheat bread are the same thing, but they are totally different.


I think my yeast is getting old.  I checked the expiration date, and it hasn't passed.  The last two times I used the yeast, the dough has had to raise longer than I expected.  I made german chocolate cinnamon rolls in January, and the dough took much more time to raise than the recipe indicated.  This loaf also took a long time to raise.


Maybe they got the expiration date wrong.  I have been storing the yeast in my fridge as directed.  Maybe it is just to cold in my apartment for the yeast to rise quickly.  It's a mystery!


I found this honey whole wheat and oat sandwich bread recipe on a blog called Completely delicious. It is different than my other bread recipes because it calls for an egg.  I added about a fourth of a cup of instant potato flakes.  I also baked it at 350 degrees instead of 400.  Both were wise alterations.



 The ingredients for this recipe are 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup honey, 3 to 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup instant potato flakes, 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 egg.


I added the milk, water, butter, and honey to a sauce pot over medium heat.  I let the ingredients heat until the butter had melted and everything had melted together.


I let the ingredients cool to 120 degrees before adding the yeast.  I let the yeast bloom for five minutes in the warm milk mixture.


I added the oats and potato flakes to a mixer with a dough hook.  I added two cups of whole wheat flour and salt.


 I added the milk mixture and the egg.  I mixed the dough.  I gradually added flour until the dough started to pull away from the sides of the bowl.  I let the dough kneed for about 7 to 8 minutes.  I removed the dough and let it rise in a greased bowl for an hour.  I actually had to let mine rise for an hour and a half, but the recipe says to let it rise for an hour.  It should be double in size.


I punched the dough down and formed it into a loaf.  I placed the dough into a nine by five inch loaf pan.  I had greased the loaf pan.  I let it rise until it was about an inch higher then the edge of the pan.


I baked the bread for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the bread cool for a few minutes in the pan before letting it cool on a wire rack.


This was scrumptious bread.  The texture was spot on.


 It was tender and moist.  The bread was hearty and filling.


This was stand out bread recipe.  The loaf was flavorful.


The oats provided additional texture and flavor.  I will make this recipe again.  I give it two thumbs up!



No comments: