Friday, March 2, 2018

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cocoa Nibs


I work nine hour days, and then have every other Friday off.  Today is my designated day off.  It was very windy today, and many other people had their work cancelled.


This would not have effected me, but a museum that I had planned to attend was also closed because of the wind.  Instead of exploring my city, I have been lazy all day.  The only productive things I have done all day are exercise, grocery shopping, and buying new running shoes.  


I needed new running shoes.  My old shoes are over two years old.  I think you are only supposed to keep running shoes for six months or something.  It was time.  I am running a half marathon next Saturday.  


I'm not super prepared for the race, but I'll be able to finish.  I ran ten miles last weekend.  They were slow miles, but I did it.  I need to get back into running.  I kind of took a break, and I'm surprised how slow I run now.  I was never a fast runner, but now I'm very slow.



I made these cookies for a potluck lunch.  I was supposed to bring an item that begins with the same letter as my last name.  Instead I brought cookies.


I found this oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe on Betty Crocker's website.  I added cocoa nibs, which I found at Trader Joe's.  I also used fewer walnuts.


The ingredients are 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg, 2 cups oats, 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup chocolate chips, 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, and 1/4 cup cocoa nips.


I added brown sugar and butter to a bowl.  I creamed the brown sugar and butter for a few minutes.



I beat in the egg and vanilla.


I mixed in the baking soda, salt, and all purpose flour.



I mixed in the oatmeal.  I then mixed in the chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, and walnuts all at once.



The dough looks pretty yummy, right?



I let the dough sit in the fridge for a day.  I did this for convince sake, but I have heard it improves the cookie.  I'm not sure how.  I scooped about a tablespoon and a half of dough for each cookie onto a baking sheet lined with a baking mat.  I placed each cookie dough mound about two inches apart from each other.



 I baked the cookies for 10 minute sat 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool a little on the pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


These were scrumptious cookies.


They were packed full of yummy oats.  They were golden and caramelized. 


They were buttery and chewy.  The chocolate morsels were milky and creamy.  The cocoa nibs and walnuts were crunchy.


The cocoa nibs provided a subtle pop of additional chocolate flavor.  The were not sweet at all, which worked because the cookies were sweet enough.  They had a dark, bitter chocolate flavor.


 These were simple and homey cookies.  They were delicious too.


 This was a fantastic cookie recipe.  I'll use this recipe again.  I'd give this recipe two thumbs up.  The cocoa nibs were a great addition too.  Yum!


No comments: