Sunday, April 15, 2018

Slow Cooker Beef Stew


I made this beef stew over last Christmas vacation.  It was probably one of only a few things I ate last Christmas that wasn't sugar filled and had some nutritional benefit.


I can hardly believe it is already April.  This year is going to go by fast.  Yesterday I went to Philadelphia.  We went to Eastern State Penitentiary, among other things.

It was really interesting.  I am surprised how old it is.  It was build in 1829.  I just looked that up on the internet, but I remembered that it was old.  It operated as a prison until 1971. In the beginning the prisoners were kept in solitary confinement.  When they were outside, the guards covered their head in burlap sacks so they couldn't see anything.  



This slow cooker beef stew recipe comes from allrecipes.com.  I made it as directed.  The ingredients are 2 pounds stew beef, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 garlic clove, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 chopped onion, 1 1/2 cups beef stock, 3 diced potatoes, 4 chopped carrots, and 1 chopped celery stock.


I chopped the beef up and then coated it in the flour, salt and pepper.  I put this directly into the slow cooker.


I added the bay leaf, paprika, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce.  I stirred the ingredients together.



I added the chopped onion, potatoes, carrots, and celery.



I added the beef broth and then added the lid to the slow cooker.  I cooked the stew on high for about five hours.


This was a delicious and savory stew. It was hearty, meaty and filling.

 

The flavors were homey and comforting.  They meat was very tender.


The vegetables were soft and tender.  This was a good recipe.  I would make it again.


No comments: