Friday, April 13, 2018

Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon, Pecans, and Raisins


It's Friday! Fortunately, I don't work today.  I had an alternative work schedule and have every other Friday off.


I think I am going to go see an new exhibit at an art museum and see the movie Ready Player One. I read the book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I have heard the movie isn't as good as the book, but it seems like that is always the case.  Hopefully it's good!


I found this Brussels sprout salad recipe on the cooking channel tv website.  I added more bacon and raisins.  I replaced the sherry vine vinegar for balsamic vinegar.  



The ingredients are 10 slices cooked applewood bacon, 1 large shallot,  1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard, 1 tablespoon honey, salt, pepper, 3 tablespoons bacon grease, 1/2 cup minus extra virgin olive oil, 2 pounds Brussels sports, 1 cup pecan, 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup raisins.  




I first made the dressing by combining the finely shopped shallot, balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.




I then whisked in the bacon grease and extra virgin olive oil into the dressing.


I thinly sliced the Brussels sprouts and added them to a bowl.  I added the raisins, pecans, and grated parmesan cheese.


I stirred up the salad and added the dressing.  I then gave the salad another thorough stir.  


I added some additional slices of parmesan cheese on top of each serving.


This was a scrumptious and flavorful salad.  It was one of the best salads I have made.  It was salty, savory, and sweet.


There were contrasting flavors and textures that all paired together well.


 I will make this recipe again.  It was toothsome and simple.  I thing the raisins were a great addition too.


I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

No comments: