Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Almond Chicken Salad with Asparagus

 

It is starting to feel a lot like summer around here.  I usually take a casual walk on Sundays, but last Sunday was so hot I couldn't talk myself into it.


The hot weather has discouraged me from riding my bike to work as well.  During the Spring I rode my bike to work two to three times a week.  Last week I didn't ride my bike to work once.

I need to get acclimatized to the heat because the summer has just started.  I can't stay inside in air conditioned buildings all summer.


I made this chicken salad and ate it for lunch for a few days.  It made a nourishing and tasty lunch.  I have made other great recipes for a packed lunch.  I have made turkey, bacon, and ranch paninis; Ruben quesadillas; smoked salmon and egg sandwich; and a turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich.





This almond chicken salad with asparagus recipe came from a website called SparkRecipes.  I had never heard of it before now.  I ran out of curry powder while making this recipe, so I replaced some of the curry powder with garam masala.  I also used more lemon juice and more almonds.  I used less cilantro.


I doubled the recipe, but I'll list the ingredients for just a single batch.  The ingredients for this recipe are 2 cups asparagus, 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/8 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper, 1 pound cooked chicken breast, and 1/2 cup red bell pepper.  I put the salad in pita pockets with baby spinach.



I made the sauce first by adding the greek yogurt, curry powder, garam masala, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cilantro into a bowl.  I stirred the dressing thoroughly.  





I boiled the asparagus for two minutes in simmering water.  I then drained and chopped it.  I also shredded the cooked thicken breasts.  I added the shredded chicken and coarsely chopped asparagus into a bowl.


I added the chopped red bell pepper and slivered almonds.


I poured the dressing over the chicken and vegetables and stirred salad together.


I ate this salad with spinach in a pita pocket.  


This salad made a delicious lunch.  The sauce was creamy and flavorful.  The cilantro had a fresh flavor.  The curry and garam masala made is spicy and exotic.  


I think I went a little to heavy with the garam masala though.  I would recommend only using 1/4 of a teaspoon.


The chicken was succulent and tender.  The vegetables were crisp and colorful.


The almonds added nuttiness and crunch.


It was satisfying and protein packed.


It was flavorful and hearty.


It was a simple yet delicious meal that I would make again.

No comments: